Well everyone, I’m almost done my 6th week here in Malawi. I can’t believe I’m half finished here, and I feel like the next 6 weeks and few days will fly by.
Since my last blog entry, I have started the Violence Against Girls Program in the 3 primary schools. Last Wednesday the process began, when I introduced the program at the first school. I met with approximately 120 girls, under the shade of a giant tree. Every eye was on me, it was very intimidating. But I felt completely at peace with what to say to them, and how to introduce the program. I really want our sessions to be a safe place where girls can talk about issues, and where they know their information will be kept confidential, so I was thankful for the opportunity to tell the girls this. I was translated as I spoke, because the girls’ English is not great, but my colleague Reuben spoke after me in Chichewa repeating what I had said about the program. At one point, he paused and asked a question of the group, after which almost every little hand shot quickly into the air. I was confused about what he had asked them, and hoped he had not been inquiring as to who has experienced some form of violence at school, etc. But he then turned to me and said, “They would like to join the program”. I can’t explain the mix of feelings I had as I sat there in front of all these girls with their hands pointing straight upwards. On the one hand I was so excited that the girls were interested in my program.. “I’m actually going to make a difference!”, I thought, so relieved that my trip here will not be in vain. On the other hand, my heart absolutely shattered, because every hand represented a young girl who longed to know more about how to protect herself from violence, and many whom had already experienced abuse first-hand. At the end of the introduction, I held a sheet of paper with 109 names.
Yesterday and today I introduced the program at the 2nd and 3rd schools we’re targeting, and officially completed Session 1 at the first primary school. We met again under the shade of the giant tree; I was thankful for the shade because the weather here has been 30+ degrees for the last 2 weeks. It’s been the type of weather where getting back sweat is completely socially acceptable. I called the first session “Violence Against Girls: Types of Violence”, and I wanted to start off relating violence to what girls experience at school (as opposed to at home, or in the community, etc.). Unfortunately, a survey done by my organization 2 years ago, had school girls reporting that the most common forms of violence at school were teasing and bullying of girls by boys, sexual harassment, and rape. So, as dark and dreary as these topics are, I knew this is where I had to start… and today we jumped right in. About 60 girls showed up (despite 109 having signed their names last week), but 60 is still an amazing number to have turn out and I was encouraged by this. So firstly I asked them if they all remembered my name from the previous week. “Jac-leen!” 60 voices shouted, yes… off to a good start.
I introduced the session and my partner Enock from YOUDAO, who would be translating for me. I asked several questions like, “What is sexual abuse?”, “How can a girl avoid sexual abuse?” “What is rape?” “If a girl is raped is it her fault?”, “Where should a girl go if she has been raped?”, and so on. I listened to their answers, and always followed up with my own information, exaggerating the points I wanted them to remember. The girls were all very clever, and had correct answers for many of my questions. The main points I wanted to get across were: 1) Sexual abuse and rape is NEVER the fault of the girl, 2) The girl should always tell someone, and tell her story over and over until someone believes her, and 3) the girl should never be shy or fearful about telling what has happened to her. One of the most interesting answers I received was a resounding “Aye!” (which means “yes” in Chichewa), when I asked the girls if they thought that boys believed some girls ‘deserved’ to be sexual abused, or if boys thought it was the girl’s fault. Regardless of whether or not this is the true mindset of all young Malawian men, it is a shame that their female peers regard them with such distrust.
Next week, I will be presenting this same session to schools 2 and 3, and I will be starting Session 2 at today’s school- covering violence at home and in the community. This session will include a discussion on girls’ rights, as many girls have their rights abused at home, even by their own parents. Many are forced to sell produce or complete household chores, chores which take away from a normal childhood filled with studying for school and playing with friends, and chores which their brothers are not expected to complete! I can’t wait to remind these girls that they are equal to boys! In YOUDAO’s survey of 80 girls from just 2 years ago:
- 55% of girls knew of their right to education
- 26% knew of their right to health
- 9% knew of their right to dignity
- 3% knew of their right to get support from their parents
- 0% knew of their right to privacy
Let’s change this.
Tomorrow is a holiday.. (Happy Malawian Mother’s Day Mom!!), and I will be heading for a long weekend with my fellow Canadian volunteers to a gorgeous spot on Lake Malawi called Kande Beach. Excited for some horseback riding, safari-ing, and relaxing!
Love to all,
Jacqueline
No comments:
Post a Comment